Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Can anyone tell me how I can get teenagers interested in cooking?

The more my friends watch reality cooking shows (such as Top Chef and the Food Network), the more often they're asking me to show them how to cook! Top Chef especially is filled with drama and resembles popular teen shows like Real World. Watch an episode together and then ask if they'd like to try making something. Bravo's website always lists the winning recipe, but you might also want to look in your own cookbooks for something similar, but easier for beginning chefs! Good luck!Can anyone tell me how I can get teenagers interested in cooking?
What do they like to eat? Would they be interested in cooking that? CAn you show them that home made food saves money which they can then use for other things?Can anyone tell me how I can get teenagers interested in cooking?
Invite them to help you in the kitchen.


Make cooking fun/interesting - with your presentations...
Make it fun, and it will be some together-time. Look through some cookbooks or magazines and let them have a say in choosing the recipe. Teach them what different kitchen utensils are for. I'm sure they'll be very proud of whatever dish they've made for the family.





Just don't nag. My mother would barely let me in the kitchen because she said I always made a mess. What a shock when she passed away and my father and I had no idea how to cook.





Be patient yet informative. You don't want them eating ramen all through college! :) God bless you for wanting to teach them.
Make it an ';experience';. Don't pick something basic and make it feel like school but take something new and special and involve them so they understand it is a creative process and you can actually express yourself through cooking. Doing it together will also show cooking can be a fun social event that they may want to do with their friends.
quit cooking for them when they get hungry enough they will learn how.
start them off with hot dogs or fried or scrambling eggs and then to stuff like baking brownies cookies cup cakes cakes pies cheese cake and then try making things like mashed potatoes meat loaf stove top stuffing spanish rice or any kind and then something like french toast


do stuff that had directions on the box and then from there show them how u make certain things like pork chops burgers and use easy things like deep frying french fries and onion rings
well, i think you cant get someone into cooking especially teens. if they are interested in it, then they will be interested. if not then dont try and make it interesting for them, they just might not be into that stuff!!!





i was :D





but, i started off making stovetop stuff like oatmeal and frying hamburgers when i was about 9 or 10 with my grandma so just if someone IS interested, keep a good eye on them, and make it fun! make it like mommy and child time!
Hmmmm....stop cooking FOR them?
What worked for me was simply this. If you do the cooking, you don't have to do the dishes, clean off the table and so forth. Also if you don't like what I am cooking, learn to cook and make meals also. My children learned to cook at an early age (6 years or so) I started them off with jello, then went to cake, cookies, bisquits, meats, salads and so forth. They would cook to avoid doing the dishes and other chores that follow the meal. Sometimes they would ask what was for supper and if I didn't feel like cooking I would name something that I knew that they didn't like and lo and behold the dears would cook. This isn't flawless, but it worked over all. Most seem to think now that simply nuking something works and is cooking, but it falls far short of the mark. My father worked at making cooking fun. I learned to make bread, cinnomon rolls and so forth from him. We also made calazones and pizzas together. One would make the crust and we would all decorate the pizza. By making this a fun activity, and getting everyone involved it helps break the ice. BTW, the boys as well as the girls learned to cook in both my parents and my own families. I was a single parent for quite a while and needed all the help I could get.

No comments:

Post a Comment