Friday, July 30, 2010

What are some books for teenagers?

I am 15, and I would like to read a book that would involve a teenage protagonist. I'm not looking for books like Eragon, Harry Potter, and that happy crap(lol). I like books like The Catcher in the Rye, The Bell Jar, and some others(not Go Ask Alice). So, do you know any good books, maybe about high school or something? Thanks.What are some books for teenagers?
If you like The Bell Jar (one of my absolute favorites), I'll go with the first person's answer and say first and foremost, Girl, Interrupted by Susannah Kaysen. Jack Kerouac is also great, though his books don't have a teenage protagonist, they are about young people and his travels in 1950's America, really enlightening stuff.





Also, as a teenager I really liked S.E. Hinton. Her books are incredibly simple to read, but they deal with teenage emotions (mainly because she wrote a lot of them as a teenager) beautifully. The Outsiders, Tex, and Rumblefish are all great.





On the total opposite end of the spectrum, A Clockwork Orange is pretty grotesque, but I think it's a must read. It's about a gang of teenage boys in the near future who do horrible things and comments on a lot of social problems and what makes us human. I read it when I was about your age, and I loved it.





My advice is to go to the classic literature section of your library or bookstore and just start at one end and read all you can. I've found the classics always more interesting and important to my life, books I remember for years.





It's great you love reading, it's my number one hobby. :-)What are some books for teenagers?
Have you used Amazon.com or Whatshouldireadnext.com?





If you go to Amazon and search a particular book you enjoy, and scroll about halfway down the page, it'll show you books that other people frequently buy in addition to the one you searched. There's also a feature on the site called Listmania, where you can search a bunch of lists that people on the site have put together. Maybe you could search ';Books Teens Enjoy'; or ';Books Every Teen Should Read.';





If you go to Whatshouldireadnext.com, you can type in the author, the title, or both (of a book you've enjoyed, such as The Catcher in the Rye) and it'll formulate a bunch of books similar, as well as their authors.





Hope this helps in some way! A personal book suggestion'; Th1rteen R3asons Why by Jay Asher and all of Ellen Hopkins' books (a warning, though; her books are all done in prose.)
Invisible Monsters


The Lovely Bones


Marley and Me


Something Wicked this Way Comes+Fahrenheit 451 (same author)


The Book Thief
Well, I like Catcher in the Rye, too.





';Nineteen Minutes';





';Hound of the Baskervilles';





';The Alchemist';





';Pride and Prejudice';
im 14 and i like to read:


-sister hood of the traveling pants


-nobody was her


-dear dumb dairy


-Harry potter


hope i helped
Surviving Sam by Karen Rivers


Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen


The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Well a classic that i feel everyone should read is Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls.

No comments:

Post a Comment